The Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA) have recently developed National Standards for Safer Better Healthcare. They are aimed at protecting patients and they provide, for the first time, a strategic approach to improving safety, quality and reliability in our health services. They will form the basis for future licensing of all healthcare facilities in Ireland.
Watch Head of Standards and Methodology, Dr. Deirdre Mulholland, discuss the importance of the Standards.
In addition to the National Standards document, HIQA has also published:
- A guide to the National Standards for Safer Better Healthcare
- A presentation on the Standards
- A presentation given by Margaret Murphy, WHO patients for patient safety champion, at the launch of the Standards.
The National Standards will:
- place patients at the heart of the care process
- be a benchmark for change for safety
- give patients a clear expectation of the standard of care they can expect to receive
- ensure services will be clear on what is expected of them
- provide a strategic approach to improving safety, quality and reliability in our health service.
For more information visit the HIQA website.