The Health Management Institute of Ireland (HMI) is the professional body for healthcare managers across all sectors of the health service in the Republic of Ireland. We are a membership organisation. Our primary aim is the continuous development of standards of management competence and practice. The HMI meets the needs of the modern healthcare manager through informing, educating and involving its members and stakeholders in professional development and networking activities.
We achieve this through:
HMI Past Presidents
HMI is a national organisation with a regional structure. There are four regions:
Each region has a committee in place which is responsible for organising local activities such as meetings and promoting the work of the Institute. Each committee has a Chair and Secretary and is sponsored by a HMI Council member who gives guidance and support. All members are encouraged to become involved at regional level or to suggest topics of local relevance for debate and discussion.
GlaxoSmithKline have provided funding towards the venue, equipment and/or catering costs of these meetings, but have had no input into or influence over the agenda or content.
The Academic Committee is appointed by the Council of the Health Management Institute of Ireland (HMI) to assist in the planning, development and overseeing of the educational work of the Institute. It assists in the development of the academic standards of training courses and other events which are run by the Institute, including the approval of CPD points (CPD Hours) and ensuring the quality of programmes run by HMI.
Members of the Academic Committee include:
- Prof Geraldine McCarthy, Emeritus Professor, School of Nursing and Midwifery, University College Cork
- Dr. Gerard O’Callaghan, Chief Operations Officer South South/West Hospital Group and Hon. Treasurer, HMI
- Dr. Amanda Carty, Programme Manager, Brain Injury Programme, National Rehabilitation Hospital
- Dr. Paul Donovan, School of Business, National University of Ireland, Maynooth
- Rosemarie Carroll, Services Executive, HMI